Caramel Walnut Apple Crisp
One of my favorite things to cook when the temperatures get colder is apple crisp. It fills the home with the smell of apples and cinnamon; it just makes me want to cuddle on the couch by the fire. I make this every year, and have never wasted a crumb, not one! This is by far my favorite combination of ingredients, and with my sweet tooth, I have tasted a lot of apple crumb recipes.
The slightly sweet and gently tart granny smith apples pair well the crunchy topping of walnuts, oats, flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and tying it all together…caramel. Oh man, it is like a piece of heaven. Just add a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream and a little drizzle of caramel and you’ll have a moment of pure bliss staring right at you. Believe me, for a moment I forgot I had a cranky toddler, who was crying because she wanted her sippy cup that she threw, for the tenth time.
- 6 Granny Smith Apples, peeled, cored and sliced thin
- 3 Teaspoons - Cinnamon
- 3 Tablespoons - Caramel Sauce
- 8 Graham Crackers, chopped
- 3/4 Cup - Brown Sugar
- 1/2 Cup - Flour
- 1 Cup - Old-fashioned Rolled Oats
- 1/2 Cup - Butter, melted
- 1 Cup - Walnuts, chopped
- Vanilla Bean Ice Cream (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Peel, core and slice apples. Place apples in a 9x12 baking dish and sprinkle 1 teaspoon of cinnamon, gently mix to combine. Drizzle 1 tablespoon of caramel sauce on top of the apple mixture. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine graham crackers, brown sugar, flour, oats, 2 teaspoons of cinnamon and mix well. Stir in walnuts.
- Spread the crumb mixture evenly over the apples and drizzle the remaining caramel on top. Loosely cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes. Remove foil and continue baking for another 5 minutes. Cool slightly and serve with a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream and caramel drizzle.