Chocolate Covered Stuffed Strawberries
My husband and I are not big on celebrating Valentines Day. Personally I feel that you should express your love throughout the year and not on one predesignated day where flowers are mysteriously super expensive and cheesy love cards are shoved in your face. I do believe it is a great excuse to make one of my favorite desserts, chocolate covered stuffed strawberries. I could make these any time of the year and be one happy camper.
You can choose any kind of chocolate for this recipe. Adding the oil gives the chocolate a thinner consistency and a nice shiny coating, so if you choose, you can leave it out all together. One thing I struggled with is getting the mini chocolate chips to adhere to the chocolate, but I found if I let the chocolate set a little, then they stuck on better. I ended up with a bit of extra chocolate, so I sliced up some bananas and used up the remaining chocolate and toppings!
I love that you can be creative with this recipe and add all sorts of toppings. I chose to use pistachios, crushed graham crackers and mini chocolate chips. The possibilities are endless. If chocolate and strawberries weren’t enough, adding a smooth and creamy filling just elevates this to the next level. Garnishing with a little fresh mint gives it an amazingly fresh taste, which truly ties the whole thing together.
- 2 Pints - Strawberries, hulled
- 1/2 Tablespoon - Coconut Oil
- 1/2 Cup - Chocolate
- 1 (8 ounce) Package Cream Cheese, softened
- 1/3 Cup - Powdered Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon - Vanilla Extract
- Mint Leaves to Garnish
- Optional: (1/3 Cup Each) Crushed Pistachios, Crushed Graham Crackers, Mini Chocolate Chips
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment or wax paper. Set aside.
- Rinse and hull strawberries. Cut the tips off to create a nice flat edge so the strawberries can stand up. Dry completely.
- Fill a medium saucepan with a couple inches of water and bring to a boil, remove from heat. Place chocolate and coconut oil in a medium heatproof bowl (I used a glass bowl) and place over the boiled water. Stir until smooth. Once the chocolate is melted and smooth, remove from heat.
- Holding the strawberries from the hulled end, dip the bottom half of each strawberry in the melted chocolate. Twist slightly to make sure all excess chocolate drips off and then dip it into your favorite topping (i.e. chopped nuts, sprinkles). Place chocolate covered strawberries tip side down on the parchment paper so the hulled ends are on the top. Repeat until all strawberries are done and then place in the freezer for about 5-10 minutes until the chocolate is set.
- Meanwhile, beat together the cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla extract until smooth in a mixer or a food processor. Place into a piping bag with a star tip. Pipe into each strawberry and garnish each one with a small mint leaf. Enjoy!