Gourmet Grilled Cheese
With fall fast approaching, there are a few things that make me happy. It’s a time to bring out the boots, scarves, pumpkin lattes and of course comfort foods. Ever since I was a kid, I couldn’t resist what I consider the most classic comfort food, grilled cheese. That ooey gooey melted cheese surrounded by delicious, buttery crunchy bread. Who can resist that?
Today, I’m taking this comfort food and creating something that has changed this classic sandwich for me forever. By combing juicy tomatoes, rich and nutty avocados, and the true kicker; pesto, you’ll be wanting this time and time again. Taking these few simple ingredients transforms this tasty sandwich into something that is truly gourmet.
- 4 slices of multi-grain bread
- 4 slices of sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons - butter (softened)
- 2 tablespoons - pesto
- 2 roma tomatoes
- 1 avocado
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat a cast-iron or nonstick skillet over medium-low heat.
- Cut the tomatoes into 1/4 inch slices and salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Cut the avocado in half and remove the seed. Gently cut each half into 1/4 inch slices, but don't cut through the avocado skin. Take a large spoon and scoop out the avocado slices. Set aside.
- Butter one side of the bread. On the opposite side of the bread, spread the pesto onto 2 slices and place each one butter side down in the skillet.
- Add 2 slices of cheese onto the pesto, and top with the remaining 2 slices of bread butter side up.
- Grill until lightly golden brown, about 3 to 5 minutes and flip over; continue grilling until cheese is melted.
- Remove from the grill and gently pull the grilled cheese open. Add one sliced tomato and half of the avocado per sandwich. Close the sandwich back up and enjoy!